Thai Fish Cake
An exotic taste that is easy enough to make every week.
- 600 g hake — fillets
- 3 Tbs fish sauce
- 1 Tbs brown sugar — or palm sugar
- 2 garlic — cloves chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger — grated
- 259 ml fresh coriander — roughly chopped
- 3 Tbs curry paste — red
- lime — zest only
- 1-2 tsp chilli paste
- 2 Tbs cornflour — maizena
- 1 eggs — beaten
- 1 spring onions — finely chopped
- oil — for shalow frying
- sweet chilli sauce
- soya sauce — thick, chopped chilli and coriander
- green beans — mangetout and baby corn
- fresh coriander
- Process the hake, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, coriander, curry paste, zest and chilli in a food processor for +- 20 seconds.
- Add the corn flour and egg and blitz for another 10 seconds. Do not over process.
- Spoon mixture into a mixing bowl and add the spring onions. Mix until evenly combined.
- Cover and rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Use wet hands and shape 2 tablespoons of mixture per patty – flatten them slightly for even cooking.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan with 3 cm of oil. Fry the patties over a moderately high heat until golden and cooked through (about 3-4 minutes a side).
- Drain excess oil on paper towel.
- Serve hot or room temperature with dipping sauces and steamed greens. Garnish with coriander.